Ready for the Digital Future?
Artificial intelligence, virtual reality, self-driving cars, robots, and the Internet of Things are a mainstay in the news, but are we ready for the digital future? Do we have the necessary skills to take full advantage of new technologies?
Digital transformation is a multi-disciplinary topic—perhaps one of the most complex of our time. The purpose of this documentary film project is to start a conversation about the digital future. Is it complicated and inevitable, or can we create a future we actually want?
The Documentary Film Project
Digital Transformation: Visions of Nations, Companies, and People builds on interviews with visionaries, futurists, scientists, entrepreneurs, politicians, artists, authors, and others around the world who speak about their views and hopes for the future.
This interview project encourages the conversation about what kind of future we actually want. Technology offers nations, companies, and people amazing tools. Many of them are useful, others we are free to reject. If we use these tools in a responsible way, the future isn’t inevitable, it is what we make it.
A Project by Manuel Stagars
Born and raised in Zurich/Switzerland, Manuel Stagars is a Swiss film director, whose current film projects focus on the potential of technology for the economies of nations, societies, and the lives of people around the world. His films make people think about technology and the future and start a conversation.
Digital Transformation: Visions of Nations, Companies, and People (2017/2018) explores the role of artificial intelligence in the lives of humans moving forward. Manuel speaks with scientists, entrepreneurs, corporate decision makers, politicians, artists and others in Switzerland, the UK, the United States, China, and Japan about their views and hopes for the digital future.
The Blockchain And Us (2017) How can the blockchain—the technology underlying Bitcoin—benefit the economies of nations? How will it change society? What does this mean for each of us? Twenty conversations with experts in the nascent global blockchain scene make the discussion about potential impacts of this technology accessible.
FinTech Made in Switzerland (2016) is the first documentary film about Swiss FinTech. In forty-one interviews with heads of digital banking from major banks, politicians, investors and Swiss FinTech startups in roboadvisory, lending, cryptocurrencies, insurtech, the film gives a glimpse into how a traditional bankers’ nation is coming to terms with technological change.
Manuel has lived and worked in Europe, America, and Asia. His films have screened internationally, including in Melbourne at the Transitions Film Festival, in Amsterdam at the Fraude Film Festival, in London at the Everyman Theatre, in Minneapolis at the Analytics and Financial Innovation Conference (AXFI), in Zurich at Tech Tuesday, in Shanghai at the Future of Money Conference, or in Tokyo at the Swiss Chamber of Commerce an Industry in Japan (SCCIJ). They have been translated in Dutch, German, Italian, Spanish, Portuguese, Russian, Chinese, and Japanese.
As a filmmaker, Manuel draws on his experience as a music composer, author, researcher, economist, and startup entrepreneur. He has published books and scientific articles on startups, marketplace lending, impact investing, data quality, and Open Data. Manuel has a degree in economics from the London School of Economics and Political Science (LSE) and several financial certifications (CFA, CAIA, ERP).
Personal website: www.manuelstagars.com
Many thanks to all conversation partners.
Next to all interviewees, many people are supporting this project in many ways. Special thanks for your time, feedback, access to networks, and other help in the course of making this film! This list constantly updates as the project continues (list in alphabetical order).
- Grit Abe, IBM Research Zurich, www.zurich.ibm.com
- Iris Belle, Tongji University, www.iris-belle.com
- John Best, BIG Fintech Media, www.bigfintechmedia.com
- Noe Blancpain, Swiss Federal Department of Economic Affairs, Education and Research, www.wbf.admin.ch
- Nicolas Buerer, Digital Switzerland, www.digitalswitzerland.ch
- Elissa Butterfield, SpaceX, Tesla, www.spacex.com, www.tesla.com
- Marco Cuesta, FirstBlood, www.firstblood.io/about
- Heather Daly, Courageous Hearts, www.courageoushearts.org
- Andrew Devoy, Virgin, www.virgin.com
- Daniel Doll-Steinberg, Blockchainsmokers, www.blockchainsmokers.com
- Kay Firth-Butterfield, AI Austin, University of Texas, IEEE Global Initiative for Ethical Considerations in Artificial Intelligence and Autonomous Systems, www.ai-austin.org, www.law.utexas.edu/faculty/kay-firth-butterfield, www.ieee.org
- Matthias Frey, www.linkedin.com/in/mfrey
- Sonya Fricker, ISO-20022.ch, www.iso-20022.ch
- Daniel Grassinger, nexussquared, www.nexussquared.co
- Christopher Halmo, Casa Giallo, www.casagiallo.com
- Oliver Heiler, Swiss Federal Department of Economic Affairs, Education and Research, www.wbf.admin.ch
- Alessandra Hochuli
- Frank Hochuli
- Marty Katon, Katon Art, www.katonart.com
- Roman Klingler, Swiss Federal Institute of Technology (ETH), www.ethz.ch
- Barb Kunz, Khan Academy, www.khanacademy.org
- Stephanie Lüpold, Digital Switzerland, www.digitalswitzerland.ch
- Ruedi Maeder, Agentur Am Wasser, www.agenturamwasser.ch
- Jenna Marshall, Santa Fe Institute, www.santafe.edu
- R. Jesse McWaters, WEF, www.weforum.org/agenda/authors/jesse-mcwaters
- Felix Moesner, Swissnex China, www.swissnexchina.org
- Anish Mohammed, Hyperloop Transportation Technologies, Blockchainsmokers, www.linkedin.com/in/anishmohammed/
- Dezso Molnar, www.dezsomolnar.com
- Martin Mueller, UX/UI & Interaction Design, www.martinxd.com
- Susan Orozco, IBM Switzerland, www.ibm.com
- Jummee Park, Full Spectrum Retreat, www.fullspectrumretreat.com
- Flora Paterson, Founders Intelligence, www.foundersintelligence.co
- Jenna Pilgrim, Blockchain Research Institute, www.blockchainresearchinstitute.org
- Robert Poor, Cool Energy World, www.coolenergyworld.com
- Roy Schedler, Swiss Science Center Technorama, www.technorama.ch
- Liselotte Schneider, Swiss Chamber of Commerce and Industry in Japan, www.sccij.jp
- Nadine Schuster, Blockchain Research Institute, www.blockchainresearchinstitute.org
- Aryan Sheikalian, Blockchain Research Institute, www.blockchainresearchinstitute.org
- Todd Siegel, www.uxobjects.com
- Martin Stürchler, Swissnex China, www.swissnexchina.org
- Kyoko Suzuki, Embassy of Switzerland in Japan, Science & Technology Office Tokyo, www.eda.admin.ch/tokyo, www.stofficetokyo.ch
- Tim Taylor, Santa Fe Institute, www.santafe.edu
- Team Woz, www.woz.org
- Sherry Turkle, MIT, www.mit.edu/~sturkle
- Rik Willard, Agentic Group, www.agenticgroup.com
- Roman Wyden, Roster, www.roster.la, www.romanwyden.com
- Tatiana Wyden, Creable, www.creable.com
- Nataliya Zakrevska, Virgin Media, www.virgin.com
- Lijun Zhang, Swissnex China, www.swissnexchina.org
- Christine Zhu, Shanghai Industrial μTechnology Research Institute, www.sitrigroup.com