Ready for the Digital Future?
Artificial intelligence, blockchain technology, virtual reality, self-driving cars, drones, robots, or the Internet of Things are a mainstay in the news, but are we ready for the future? Do we have the necessary skills to take advantage of these new technologies?
Digital transformation and “deep tech” is a multi-disciplinary topic—perhaps one of the most complex of our time. The purpose of this documentary film project is to start a conversation about the digital future. Is it complicated and inevitable, or can we finally create the future we want?
The Documentary Project
Digital Transformation: Visions of Nations, Companies, and People consists of interviews with entrepreneurs, futurists, scientists, artists, and authors in the United States, Europe, China, and Japan who speak about their views and hopes for the future. Technology offers nations, companies, and people amazing tools. Many of them are useful, others less so, and some even dangerous. If we use technology in a responsible way, the future is what we make of it. Or is it?
The purpose of this interview project is to feature different opinions about the future and to encourage a lively conversation about the emerging role of technology in our lives.
Interviews for this project take place with people who think about the impacts of technology on life and work in the digital age. So far, thought leaders from Silicon Valley, Los Angeles, Santa Fe, Austin, Toronto, Bern, Zurich, London, Shanghai, Hong Kong, Taipei, Tokyo, and Sydney have already participated.
Interviews for this project took place in Europe, America, and Asia. Here are location photos from the journey.
A Project by Manuel Stagars
Award-winning Film Director / Author / Podcaster / Entrepreneur / Economist—Telling stories about emerging technologies.
Conversations about science, technology, and the future that inspire people.
Manuel Stagars is a Swiss filmmaker with twenty years of hands-on experience as an entrepreneur in the digital startup scene. He has a background in economics and finance as an advisor and as a senior researcher at the Swiss Federal Institute of Technology (ETH).
Manuel has lived and worked in Europe, America, and Asia and began directing and producing films in 2005 in Los Angeles to explore new modes of communication about society, science, and technology. He has written books on startups, marketplace lending, impact investing, data quality, and Open Data published by Wiley Finance, Palgrave Macmillan, and Apress, a division of Springer-Nature.
Manuel’s documentary films have reached hundreds of thousands of people. His films have screened internationally, including at the World Economic Forum in Davos, in Melbourne at the Transitions Film Festival, in Amsterdam at the Fraude Film Festival, in London at the Everyman Theatre, in Minneapolis at the Analytics and Financial Innovation Conference (AXFI), in Zurich at Tech Tuesday, and in Tokyo at the Swiss Chamber of Commerce an Industry (SCCIJ). They have been translated into Dutch, German, Italian, Spanish, Portuguese, Russian, Chinese, and Japanese.
Next to all interviewees, many people are supporting this project in many ways. Special thanks for your time, feedback, access to networks, and other help in the course of making this film! This list constantly updates as the project continues (list in alphabetical order).
- Grit Abe, IBM Research Zurich, www.zurich.ibm.com
- Iris Belle, Tongji University, www.iris-belle.com
- John Best, BIG Fintech Media, www.bigfintechmedia.com
- Noe Blancpain, Swiss Federal Department of Economic Affairs, Education and Research, www.wbf.admin.ch
- Nicolas Buerer, Digital Switzerland, www.digitalswitzerland.ch
- Elissa Butterfield, SpaceX, Tesla, www.spacex.com, www.tesla.com
- Marco Cuesta, FirstBlood, www.firstblood.io/about
- Heather Daly, Courageous Hearts, www.courageoushearts.org
- Andrew Devoy, Virgin, www.virgin.com
- Daniel Doll-Steinberg, Blockchainsmokers, www.blockchainsmokers.com
- Kay Firth-Butterfield, AI Austin, University of Texas, IEEE Global Initiative for Ethical Considerations in Artificial Intelligence and Autonomous Systems, www.ai-austin.org, www.law.utexas.edu/faculty/kay-firth-butterfield, www.ieee.org
- Matthias Frey, www.linkedin.com/in/mfrey
- Sonya Fricker, ISO-20022.ch, www.iso-20022.ch
- Daniel Grassinger, nexussquared, www.nexussquared.co
- Christopher Halmo, Casa Giallo, www.casagiallo.com
- Oliver Heiler, Swiss Federal Department of Economic Affairs, Education and Research, www.wbf.admin.ch
- Alessandra Hochuli
- Frank Hochuli
- Marty Katon, Katon Art, www.katonart.com
- Roman Klingler, Swiss Federal Institute of Technology (ETH), www.ethz.ch
- Barb Kunz, Khan Academy, www.khanacademy.org
- Stephanie Lüpold, Digital Switzerland, www.digitalswitzerland.ch
- Ruedi Maeder, Agentur Am Wasser, www.agenturamwasser.ch
- Jenna Marshall, Santa Fe Institute, www.santafe.edu
- R. Jesse McWaters, WEF, www.weforum.org/agenda/authors/jesse-mcwaters
- Felix Moesner, Swissnex China, www.swissnexchina.org
- Anish Mohammed, Hyperloop Transportation Technologies, Blockchainsmokers, www.linkedin.com/in/anishmohammed/
- Dezso Molnar, www.dezsomolnar.com
- Martin Mueller, UX/UI & Interaction Design, www.martinxd.com
- Susan Orozco, IBM Switzerland, www.ibm.com
- Jummee Park, Full Spectrum Retreat, www.fullspectrumretreat.com
- Flora Paterson, Founders Intelligence, www.foundersintelligence.co
- Jenna Pilgrim, Blockchain Research Institute, www.blockchainresearchinstitute.org
- Robert Poor, Cool Energy World, www.coolenergyworld.com
- Roy Schedler, Swiss Science Center Technorama, www.technorama.ch
- Liselotte Schneider, Swiss Chamber of Commerce and Industry in Japan, www.sccij.jp
- Nadine Schuster, Blockchain Research Institute, www.blockchainresearchinstitute.org
- Aryan Sheikalian, Blockchain Research Institute, www.blockchainresearchinstitute.org
- Todd Siegel, www.uxobjects.com
- Martin Stürchler, Swissnex China, www.swissnexchina.org
- Kyoko Suzuki, Embassy of Switzerland in Japan, Science & Technology Office Tokyo, www.eda.admin.ch/tokyo, www.stofficetokyo.ch
- Tim Taylor, Santa Fe Institute, www.santafe.edu
- Team Woz, www.woz.org
- Sherry Turkle, MIT, www.mit.edu/~sturkle
- Rik Willard, Agentic Group, www.agenticgroup.com
- Roman Wyden, Roster, www.roster.la, www.romanwyden.com
- Tatiana Wyden, Creable, www.creable.com
- Nataliya Zakrevska, Virgin Media, www.virgin.com
- Lijun Zhang, Swissnex China, www.swissnexchina.org
- Christine Zhu, Shanghai Industrial μTechnology Research Institute, www.sitrigroup.com